Welcome! This blog is for vegans, vegetarians, and pesceteraians in Charleston SC. Since it can be rather difficult/isolating to be a vegetarian in the great state of South Carolina, I thought it would be fun to set up a group to get together, have fun, eat, drink, laugh, and share recipes.
I don’t have it all worked out yet but some ideas are:
1. Meet to try out various Charleston-area restaurants that serve up yummy veggie/vegan victuals
2. Get together for potlucks or picnics
3. Start an organic community garden (loads of work but lots of fun)
4. Volunteer locally to help animals in need
5. Set up veggie info tables at colleges, grocery stores, and farmer markets
6. Organize petition drives and letter writing campaigns for area restaurants that serve things like foie gras and kobe beef and to promote legislative awareness and action (think Prop 2 … hey even in SC, things are possible)
6. Have movie nights or a book club (Ideas: Dominion, Omnivore’s Dilemma, Animals in Translation, Skinny Bitch)
7. Your idea here!
Basically, vegetarians and vegans tend to share a similar set of values, especially if we choose not to eat meat at least in part for ethical reasons. So it makes sense to get together to share food and concerns and conversation. By ourselves, things can feel overwhelming, but as a group, things can feel possible and fun.
Plus it’ll just be rad to hang out!
So feel free to add comments anytime you want … and if you want a username, lemme know.